AI, Machine Learning, Robots, Oh My!
Dorothy, I don’t think we’re living in the Healthcare Stone Age anymore.
Healthcare, especially digital healthcare, has come a long way over the last few decades. Technology in healthcare is progressing fast; how will it impact the health of our society and efficiency of the healthcare system as it continues to advance?
Businesses are adapting the use of AI in healthcare in a variety of ways, including:
- Pharmacy services
- Employee health benefits
- Care management
- Life Sciences
- Healthcare payment & reimbursement
- and more
A common use of artificial intelligence in healthcare involves Natural Language Processing applications. These types of technologies can understand and classify clinical documentation. NLP systems can analyze disorganized clinical notes on patients. This has the ability to give incredible insight into gaining better understanding of patients, improving daily methods, and providing a higher quality service.
Some of the Incredible Benefits of AI in Digital Healthcare
1. Shorter Wait Times — Predictive analytics have the ability to help discover specialists quicker for telemedicine patients. This decreases waiting room times and helps patients find relief faster.
2. Better Organization of Patient Health Records — Long gone are the days of endless paper documentations and user burnout. Electronic Health Records utilize AI to create more intuitive interfaces and automate some of the routine processes that consume so much of a user’s time, such as filling out symptom and past health history information over and over again. AI can also push along routine requests from the inbox, like medication refills and result notifications.
3. Turning Smartphones into Diagnostic Tools — From dermatology to ophthalmology, many areas of medicine are using the ‘selfie’ to screen patients for common health conditions. Telemedicine is utilizing the smartphone by turning the entire Urgent Care experience into a short visit and video call all from the user’s smartphone. GeniusClinic offers this service for $20 — simply fill out a symptom form, and our clinical team will offer a diagnosis and possible medication recommendation, all without ever leaving your living room. See how amazing AI is?
4. Improving the Public Health Crisis — AI and Digital Healthcare services allow more people to access healthcare due to it’s reduced costs and the ability to receive medical attention and get medications from home. Removing the stress of transportation and unknown costs from the lives of people who need care is revolutionary for healthcare. AI speeds up the screening and diagnostic process, allowing physicians to treat more people without added chaos.
Examples of Companies Utilizing AI in Healthcare Today
Apple — Afib Detection: The company’s AI sensor that is inside their popular Apple Watch Series leverages the power of artificial intelligence to detect atrial fibrillation, a cardiovascular condition that’s characterized by irregular heartbeats.
Mayo Clinic — Cervical Cancer Screenings: Mayo Clinic is leveraging an AI computer algorithm developed by researchers at Global Good and the National Institutes of Health to recommend additional cervical cancer exams. The program can see through a series of images which cases need further examination.
GeniusRx — Through our Telehealth patient portal, Patients can share an acute symptom they are experiencing in real-time, and our automation prompts triage, follow-up questions through a Natural Programming language (NPL).
Johnson & Johnson — J&J has developed a VR platform that is powered by AI. The J&J VR module is designed to train orthopedic nurses, surgeons, doctors, and medical students how to perform a variety of surgical procedures.
AI and Machine Learning technologies are constantly evolving, and GeniusRx is staying on the cusp of innovation at all times to continuously provide the best care to all who need it—because healthcare should always be accessible to everyone.