Are you or a loved one taking a daily prescription?
Here are some of the top medication phrases our team thinks all medication-takers should know:
- Analgesics: An analgesic, put simply, is a painkiller. Some of the drugs in this class include ibuprofen, aspirin, and acetaminophen.
- Abbreviations: These will be shortened phrases on your medication bottle, typically instructing the patient on how and when to take their medication. Top ones you need to know include:
- q – Every
- qH – Every hour
- qAM – Every morning
- qPM – Every evening
- qD – Every day
- qOD – Every other day
- qWK – Every week
- qMO – Every month
- q__H – Every __ hours
- BID – Twice a day
- TID – Three a day
- QID – Four a day
- C – With
- AC – Before a meal
- PC – After a meal
- PRN – As needed
- GTT – Drop
- TBSP – Tablespoon
- TSP – Teaspoon
- OZ – Ounce
- PO – By mouth/oral
- TAB – Tablet
- CAP – Capsule
- IM – Intramuscular
- SQ – Subcutaneous
- IV – Intravenous
- INJ – Injection
- STAT – Immediately
- Absorption rate: The time it takes a drug to enter the bloodstream after it is administered.
- Adverse reaction: An undesired or negative response to a medication or drug-drug interaction.
- Compounding: The creation of a drug mixture to fit the unique needs of a patient. For example, creating liquid versions of medications normally available only in tablet, capsule or caplet form.
- Diuretic: Drugs that increase the body’s urine discharge flow.
- Expectorant: Drugs that clear out mucus and phlegm.
- Reconstitute: When drugs in powder form need to be mixed with a fluid before they are administered.
- Route of administration: The prescribed path a drug is to be taken into the body.
- Suppository: A drug dosage form that is to be inserted into a body cavity, where it will dissolve and be absorbed.
Taking medications doesn’t need to be stressful.
When you understand what you’re taking and how to take it, you can relax and make it a regular part of your daily routine. If you need help, our pharmacy team is always a phone call away. Just contact us at (800) 964-9654.
If You Need a New Medication or a Refill, We’re Here to Help.
With free delivery from GeniusRx, you can find relief fast, so you can get back to the things you love. Talk to your doctor about what medication is right for you and your unique body & condition. We will ensure you get the best price on the medications you need.
GeniusRx is here to help you on your wellness journey.
We can help you get up to 80% off your prescription prices so you can feel your best no matter the season.