Why Is Sleep So Important?
Ahhhh…..the glorious feeling of waking up and being well-rested!
We all know getting a goodnight’s rest can do wonders for our morning mood however, did you know there are so many other amazing benefits sleep can do for our bodies? Check out why catching more Zs should be on your agenda!
When you’re running low on sleep, trying to focus on tasks and recalling important information might seem impossible. That’s because sleep plays a big part in optimal brain functions. Studies show that good sleep improves problem-solving skills and enhances the memory performance of both children and adults.
While you sleep, you are actually giving your heart a break from its usual hard work. When sleeping, your blood pressure goes down, so more sleep means more rest for your circulatory system and more time with decreased blood pressure which over time, can help fight heart disease.
Maintaining A Healthy Weight:
Getting proper sleep and maintaining a healthy weight go hand in hand. Extensive studies have shown that children and adults with short sleep duration were 89% and 55% more likely to develop obesity, respectively. Sleep helps regulate hormones and is one of your biggest allies for maintaining a healthy weight.
Immune System Boost:
Ongoing lack of sleep can alter your immune system’s ability to identify and attack viruses, leading to more sick days. Additionally, if you feel sick, a good nightly rest can help you avoid that tired, worn-out feeling and aid in quicker recovery.1
Helpful Tips For Better Sleep
Now that we all know how important it is to get a goodnight’s sleep, let’s think about all the factors that can interfere with that game plan — from work stress and family responsibilities to unexpected challenges, such as illnesses. It’s no wonder that quality sleep is a struggle for most. While you might not be able to control all the factors that could interfere with your sleep, you can adopt some of the habits below to encourage better, more restful sleep. 2
- Reduce blue light exposure before bed
- Rule out sleeping disorder
- Make a sleep schedule
- Upgrade your bedding
- Get a daily movement in
- Don’t drink caffeine late in the day
- Try turning the air conditioning down to around 70 degrees F
- Don’t drink large amounts of water before bed
What You Can Take To Catch More Zs
If find yourself struggling with getting and staying asleep, you may be interested in how to slide into slumber with the help of a few natural aids. Check out a few of these natural supplements that might be your greatest ally in helping you get more restful sleep.
- Ginkgo biloba: This natural herb has multiple benefits, including promoting relaxation, aiding with sleep, and stress reduction. The recommended dosage is 250 mg 30–60 minutes before going to bed.
- Valerian root: This herbal supplement can help you fall asleep faster and improve sleep quality. The recommended dosage is 500 mg before bed.
- Magnesium: Responsible for over 600 reactions within your body, magnesium can help you relax as well as enhance sleep quality when taken before bed.
- CBD: Cannabidiol, also commonly known as CBD, has various uses, including helping those who suffer from insomnia. Studies suggest that CBD may help with both falling asleep and staying asleep.
- Melatonin: This chemical is naturally produced in your body and is your body’s way of regulating your circadian rhythm (internal clock). Some research suggests that melatonin supplements can ease sleep issues like trouble falling or staying asleep. The recommended dosage is 1-3 milligrams 2 hours before bed.
If you have tried the tips above and a few natural supplements and are still having a hard time going to sleep and staying asleep, it might be a good idea to speak to your doctor about medications that can help you get the restful sleep you deserve.3,4,5
Eat Smaller Portions. Make it easier on your stomach and reduce gas by eating smaller portions.
Eat more slowly. digestions starts long beofre the food reaches your stomach.
Eliminate potentianally irriatating foods. Take time to eliminate certain foods and see if you improve.
Drink more water. Being dehydrated can cause problems with digestion and elimination.
Lower your caffeine intake. Caffeine can be an irritant for sensitive stomachs.
Reduce your stress. Take time to make stress management a priority every day.
Medications for you stomach issues. Ask your doctor for specific advice and recommendations. there is a list of available medications below!
A few medications your doctor might recommend are:
- Doxepine HCL:This sleep drug is approved for use in people who have trouble staying asleep. Doxepine HCL may help with sleep maintenance by blocking histamine receptors.
- Ramelteon: This sleep medication works differently than the others listed above as it works by targeting the sleep-wake cycle, not by depressing the central nervous system. It is generally prescribed for people who have trouble falling asleep.
- There are other methods of medications available for different circumstances, check out this link for more information.
Let GeniusRx Help You Count Sheep and Dollars Saved!
GeniusRx can work with you to offer affordable FDA-approved medications that help you get a great night’s rest every night with fast and free delivery to your home. Let us help you rest easy and wake up feeling like a million bucks. Contact us today or visit our website for more information.